Greetings, People of Wired

August 15th, 2013 · 11 Comments

So, first, I’m super flattered to have been included on Wired’s new “101 Signals” list of recommended writers on security and politics. As you may notice, however, I’m not writing all that frequently on those topics here on my personal site anymore. If you’re interested in that, therefore, you probably want to follow me on Twitter (where I usually link stuff I’m writing elsewhere) or check out my posts on the Cato Institute blog.

Second, as quite a few people have noticed, there’s an unfortunate paucity of women on the 101 signals list, which even leaving aside considerations of gender equity, left out many of the best writers and thinkers in this space. So, without any slight intended to the excellent resources flagged by Wired, let me suggest that if you’re coming here from that list, you’ll probably also find enormous value in the Women-in-Technology Twitter list maintained by formidable privacy & drones expert Amie Stepanovich.

If you’re specifically interested in the surveillance issues I focus on, Emptywheel by the invaluable Marcy Wheeler is essential reading, as is Michelle Richardson of the American Civil Liberties Union, and ACLU’s Kade, who blogs at PrivacySOS.  You should probably just follow everyone who works for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, but Rainey Reitman and Jillian York are two of their more fecund online voices. For journalists on the security beat, your feed should include Andrea Peterson, Kashmir Hill, Julia Angwin, and Siobhan Gorman. (I’ll assume only institutional humility forbade Wired from including their own Quinn Norton and Kim Zetter on their list.)  Among academics I scruple to even attempt a partial list because there are too many brilliant thinkers out there to catalog, but for starters you should keep up with Rachel Levinson-Waldman, Jennifer Granick, Helen Nissenbaum, and Kate Crawford. This could be a much, much longer list, but start there and you’re bound to find others worth reading—or add links to your own favorite thinkers in this space in the comments.

Addendum: I note my own list is a bit melanin deficient; I tried to think of some women of color who regularly write for a popular audience on privacy/tech/surveillance/security issues and sadly came up short.  So, again, suggestions welcome in the comments.

Tags: Tech and Tech Policy

• 1 Scott Saliency // Aug 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Pretty please with sugar on top, could you start posting a best of twitter to your blog or another twitter account.

I, and I think, many others would love to read a filtered version of your twitter feed.

• 2 sharl // Aug 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Well done, Mr. Sanchez. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

• 3 Amy // Aug 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm

The link to your posts on Cato seems to be a tad squirrely. I wanted to keep up with you there as I don’t do Twitter.

• 4 load balancing dedicated servers // Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38 am

Nice blog here! Also your website loads up very fast! What host are you using?

Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my
    web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

• 5 Anita (Davies) Bagnall // Sep 1, 2013 at 9:56 am

Some things always lead one back to home :-) I was looking up old photos of Norwood NJ to post on the Facebook group’s page (07648ers) and landed on the Wikipedia site for Norwood. Did you know that Wikipedia lists you as one of Norwood’s “Notable people”? I agree :-) So proud of you!! Looking forward to hearing, reading and seeing more of you in the public arena – you go guy! !
    -Anita

• 6 DavidS // Sep 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

The link to your posts on Cato is ill-formed (and, oddly, seems to have the effect of redirecting me to a post of yours from 2003.)

• 7 nina // Oct 3, 2013 at 5:35 am

I agree with your list of thinkers. Specially Rachel Levinson-Waldman, Jennifer Granick, Helen Nissenbaum, and Kate Crawford! It was nice to read your blog. Thanks and keep it up. I have already added this to my reading list!

• 8 http://www.saeyaka.com/2010/11/when-fantasy-meets-reality-this-is-just.html // Mar 11, 2014 at 3:43 pm

He died in 1985 but this very personal museum can be a lasting reminder of an
    very remarkable man. I am not really a PC player, please anyone
    help me to remove Dell Inspiron password…” We usually hear such inquiry around us.
    The vulnerability has apparently been fixed because the
    interview with Russo came about, and usernames are again safe and secure.

• 9 andrew // May 3, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I just downloaded Mozilla firefox, how do i make it so my opening page is bebo? I know its possible i just can’t remember how. I mean so that when you open firefox its not google its bebo, if yous get what i mean?.

• 10 satellite internet // May 24, 2014 at 6:51 am

Good article. I certainly appreciate this website. Stick with it!

• 11 continue // Aug 2, 2014 at 1:18 am

Avoid drinking soda, alcohol or other carbonated beverages that will
    upset your stomach and affect weight-loss results. Choose high water content
    fruits and vegetables including watermelon, lettuce,
    citrus fruits, melon, cucumber, celery and tomatoes.

All anyone who has ever tried shedding pounds through v3 dieting may know how difficult it’s
    to control your insatiable cravings for food. After the initial two days, I
    upped the dosage to the normal two-capsule’s twice
    each day. continue