Yes, I know I’ve been going on about this nonstop, but humor me, it’s rare enough that I manage to genuinely care about something Congress is doing, and once my soul is crushed on this one, it’ll probably be a while before you have to put up with such a spectacle again. So for those just joining us at intermission, here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Fox News reports on the PATRIOT renewal struggle, and botches the basic facts in just about every possible way.
- Over at Reason, I zoom in on the one sunsetting PATRIOT section that ought to simply be allowed to expire, the so-called Lone Wolf provision.
- At The American Prospect I look at some of the important reforms Russ Feingold has proposed…
- …and at Cato, a look at the current state of play, and why things are looking grim so far.
Of course, plenty of other folks are on the case. Check out:
- Glenn Greenwald’s interview with Mike German of the ACLU.
- Speaking of ACLU, here’s their latest press release, a blog post from the inimitable Mandy Simon, and their full PATRIOT site with an excellent report surveying the issues.
- Kevin Bankston at EFF points out the white hats and black hats in the Senate on this. See also Kevin’s exchange from late last month with Greg Nojeim of CDT at the American Constitution Society blog.
- An op-ed in the St. Petersburg Times gets it.
- So does The Baltimore Sun.
- Can social media activists on this issue learn from Skittles?
- Irregular Times highlights Dick Durbin’s remarks on the hidden “real reason” for attempting to kill reform. I think they may be overreading slightly, but given the long record of both historical abuses and more recent misuse of powers, it’s distressing how many in the Senate seem willing to defer to intel assertions about what powers are needed for some secret program.
- The Economist‘s anonymous but doubtless roguishly handsome blogger at Democracy in America weighs in.
- Daily Kos puts out the call to action.
- As always, Get FISA Right is the go-to site for people who want to get involved, with more links and an activism agenda for the week.
Got more relevant links? Throw ‘em in the comments, I’ll add ‘em to the post.