Solution to the Fringe Glyph Cipher

April 7th, 2009 · 234 Comments

glyphcodekey

Within the last week, two things happened: I finally got around to checking out the Fox show Fringe, the first season of which I noticed sitting tantalizingly in the Playstation Store, and my Ars colleague Erica Sadun wrote an article exploring all the delightful little Easter eggs sprinkled throughout the show. In particular she devotes some special attention to the so-called “glyph code”—a series of weird images flanked by glowing dots that appear as interstitial bumpers before commercial breaks. If I hadn’t been way nerdy for crypto before I started writing about the NSA habitually, that certainly pushed me over the edge, and I couldn’t resist taking a stab myself.

Now, here’s the part that pains me just a bit: Erica did a whole bunch of work that ultimately enabled me to crack the thing in a couple of minutes, but stopped just a hair short of the solution.  From where she left off, it’s actually incredibly simple once you make one crucial assumption.   Alas, there’s no deep dark mystery about the show’s arc concealed here, and the solution’s actually a bit anticlimactic, but it’s below the fold for those who are interested.

So the code is nothing fancy: It’s a simple one-to-one, monoalphabetic substitution cypher.  But it’s isolated words, not a sentence, so handy strings like “the” or “and” don’t recur.   Crucially, there are a couple of letters missing from Erica’s transcription of the pilot episode glyphs and possibly an extra glyph for episode 3, at least as compared with the list here. Also, it looks like there was a flub in the glyphs aired for episode 5.  Throw a couple errors into the mix and a dictionary attack on a  string of characters with no breaks becomes computationally infeasible. (If you want a reasonably quick result from your laptop, anyway.) But it’s trivial if you know where the word breaks are.

Well, by “trivial” I mean “trivial when someone else has already written a really solid algorithm for brute-forcing a ciphertext with a probability-weighted wordlist, and you can just use their code.” The “someone” in this case is UC Irvine computer science prof David Eppstein, whose program and dictionary made short work of the string I gave it despite several errors in that ciphertext. Basically, Eppstein and Erica Sadun did all the real work here,  and I combined the products of their efforts with a few minor tweaks. [Update: And it strikes me I'm being sloppy here; "brute force" implies blindly running through possible keys and checking against a dictionary, which is emphatically not how Eppstein's very elegant program works—the curious should just read his explanation.]

Sometimes the answers that seem too obvious are correct: Each episode yields a single word, in most cases relating to a central theme of the episode.  Glancing around the Internets, it looks like the key omission some other folks trying to solve it were making was a failure to take into account the orientation of the image and the position of the glowing dot that appears with each. If you don’t factor those in, of course, the cipher seems insoluble because you’re counting a whole series of distinct symbols as a single glyph. Anyway, the solutions for the episodes to date are:

1:  OBSERVER
2:  CHILD
3:  AEGER  [Latin for "sick"]
4:  ROGUE
5:  SURGG [should be SURGE?]
6:  CELLS
7:  CODES
8:  TAKEN
9:  VOICE
10: TRADE
11: SAVED
12: BISHOP
13: AVIAN
14: OLIVIA

For those who want to play along at home, that makes the letter-to-glyph assignment as below. Not all letters have been assigned glyphs yet, obviously.

A B C D EG H IK LN O PR S T U V W  X  Y  Z

Between cracking that and writing this post, I’ve probably given this an hour, which is really more than enough, but if someone wants to Photoshop those together into a translation grid for easy reference so people can transcribe the word for the episode as they watch, I’ll happily post it here. (Done! See update below.)

Eyeballing the incomplete key so far, there do seem to be some obvious glyph clusters, and I should note the possibility that solving the substitution cipher is only step one. Think, for instance, of those acrostic puzzles you sometimes see in the New York Times Magazine, where you fill in responses to a series of clues, then rearrange the letters into an adjacent grid to form a quotation. For purposes of cryptanalysis we can just treat each glyph as though it were a distinct letter chosen at random. But the glyphs actually have internal structure too. They’re a combination of three features: Image, orientation (i.e. each image has a mirror version) and one of (at least) three positions for those glowing dots. Cracking the cipher puts those symbols in a natural order; conceivably there’s some further puzzle to be solved by analysis of that series. Or possibly not… again, I’ve probably given this one too much energy for now, but others might want to give it a look.

Update: Dennis at FringeTelevision has gone ahead and gotten his Photoshop on, producing a lovely, suitable-for-framing key to the glyph cipher. Apparently there’s a new episode tonight, and while I’ll have to wait for it to show up in the PS3 store, those of you with advanced “receiver” technology for your TVs can print out a copy and see what the magic word of the day is:
glyphcodekey

You can get a bigger version at the link above, or another printer-friendly key from the folks at Fringe Podcast.

Tags: Art & Culture · Language and Literature · Random Cool Link

• 1 Alex // Apr 7, 2009 at 10:13 am

Wow….fonally!!!Someone solved the glyph codes/puzzle. :)

• 2 The code has been cracked!!!! | TheFringePodcast.com // Apr 7, 2009 at 12:38 pm

[...] editor.  Julian cracked the glyph code!  He gives a run-down of how he did it on his blog.  Check it out and watch for the glyphs [...]

• 3 Darrell // Apr 7, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Great Job!! Here’s a handy printout with all the images and corresponding letter.

• 4 Max // Apr 7, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Missing glyphs most likely are:
    F – leaf with lower left corner dot
    J – flower with upper right dot
    M – sea horse with lower left dot
    Q – frog with lower left dot
    W – palm with finger to the left and dot on the right
    XYZ – toss-up? :)

• 5 Julian Sanchez // Apr 7, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Yeah, that would fit the pattern, though note “T” is something of an odd man out, so it’s possible there are other discontinuities.

In addition to the mirror clustering, note the theme of plants in the first half of the alphabet, and some animal or body part in the second.

• 6 Unexpected // Apr 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Great job :-) look forward to checking out the coming codes and play along…

• 7 Caroline // Apr 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Fantastic job!

• 8 RWW // Apr 7, 2009 at 10:11 pm

So, what did they say tonight?

• 9 Bill // Apr 7, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Walter

And – W is a mirrored V…

• 10 J.P. // Apr 7, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I believe it said WALTER.

The W is indeed the palm of the left hand straight up with a dot to the right.

• 11 » Test JJMacey Dot Net / Blog: Run Lixux, Run Open Source - Run Free! // Apr 7, 2009 at 11:20 pm

[...] his personal blog, Sanchez writes that the actual solution ended up taking just a few minutes. “[I]t’s actually incredibly simple once you make one crucial assumption,” Sanchez [...]

• 12 Torley // Apr 7, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Congrats for figuring this out and bringing attention to this! I’m a big Fringe fan, and I wondered if there was anything to those images and the little yellow dots.

I also figured out the notes to the piano theme: http://torley.com/fringe-theme-on-piano so if you want the Glassian melody to go along with your further decipherings, there you have it!

• 13 Los códigos secretos de Fringe | CyberHades // Apr 8, 2009 at 12:30 am

[...] que el código de los gráficos sido descifrado por Julian Sanchez, puedes verlo aquí. Comparte esta [...]

• 14 cooliehawk // Apr 8, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Someone’s leaving Ars Technica with a bang.

• 15 David // Apr 8, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Well phooie…I obviously dove too far into this one. I had taken the glyphs and was trying to arrange a meaningful image out of the negative space with the dots as the guide.

This isn’t nearly as complicated as the BSG “Last Supper”

• 16 Fringe - Den mystiska koden är knäckt! | Myskoteket // Apr 8, 2009 at 11:09 pm

[...] i är att i början av varje avsnitt visas det en kod. Denna kod har nu blivit knäckt av geniet Julian Sanchez. Nyckeln hittar  du förstås [...]

• 17 Fringe Code Cracked - kaylaiacovino2.0 // Apr 9, 2009 at 1:03 am

• 18 Solved! The secret Fringe glyph code | Coded Ink,Inc // Apr 9, 2009 at 7:40 am

[...] now Julian Sanchez, a genius code-cracker at Ars Technica, has figured it out. (With a nod to colleague Erica Sadun.) [...]

• 19 Observers Are Here » Blog Archive » Fringe’s Glyph / Symbols Code Cracked! // Apr 9, 2009 at 7:41 am

[...] turns out the solution is simpler than we thought. Tech Web site Ars Technica editor Julian Sanchez took a stab at the puzzle (which was being worked on by friends) and discovered that each symbol corresponds to a single [...]

• 20 Fringe - Page 9 - Fires of Heaven Guild Message Board // Apr 9, 2009 at 9:12 am

[...] Fringe glyph’s solved Pretty cool article about how this guy cracked the code to those strange pictures that appear at commercial breaks. [...]

• 21 Fringe Code Cracked! Walter’s Lab // Apr 9, 2009 at 10:53 am

[...] From Julian’s Blog: [...]

• 22 Das große Ganze. « you know that I could use somebody // Apr 9, 2009 at 11:25 am

[...] Wen es interessiert, die seltsamen Symbole, die zwischendrin immer mal eingeblendet werden, sind offenbar entschlüsselt worden: Guckt ihr hier. [...]

• 23 Marcus Tee // Apr 9, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Didn’t JJ Abrams do this show?
    And didn’t he do Alias? And doesn’t Alias have a code that is shown each time a new location was visited where one letter in the name of the location was highlighted? When you put them all together they too spell something. Has anyone ever cracked that code and if so what the heck did it say?

• 24 Josh B // Apr 9, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I think your on the right track. I dont understand why some of the codes dont spell words. Episode 5 spells surgg not surge (I went back and checked). Since these pictures are important I doubt they would have messed one of the words up like that. Time to go back to the drawing board

• 25 Josh B // Apr 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Plus the letter E was used in previous episodes…

• 26 TV Roundup: “Eastbound & Down” renewed, ABC cleans house and more // Apr 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

[...] – “Fringe” fans, you know all of those weird symbols that appear just before the commercial breaks? Well, someone has figured out what they all mean. [...]

• 27 Julian Sanchez // Apr 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm

“Since these pictures are important I doubt they would have messed one of the words up like that”

Actually, I’m told by someone who’s involved with the show that, indeed, that was just a post production goof. Seems like a pretty easy mistake to make: only someone who was familiar with the code and paying close attention would notice anything wrong. Little mistakes like that make it into TV shows and movies all the time.

• 28 Fringe’s code cracked? | TVStop - Your personal TV Guide // Apr 9, 2009 at 4:06 pm

• 29 Josh B // Apr 9, 2009 at 4:53 pm

“Little mistakes like that make it into TV shows and movies all the time.”

Very true.

AEGER = latin for sick or ill.
    In episode 3: The Ghost Network. The guy hearing voices thought he was going crazy. Usually hearing voices in your head means you are mentally ill.

What do you make of the leaf as one of Massive Dynamic’s logos though? Nina Sharp uses the hand scanner to access the room with John Scott.

• 30 Julian Sanchez // Apr 9, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Aaaaah… I suppose I should’ve, you know, Googled it rather than suggesting it was some kind of typo. Also note that the Bad Guys communicate over the network in Latin.

• 31 Jen // Apr 10, 2009 at 5:36 am

Good Job! Yeah I agree #5 would be “surge” as in a surge of electricity, which episode 5 was about.

• 32 Fringe Glyphs Deciphered! | Television Zombies: Blog and Podcast // Apr 10, 2009 at 6:49 am

[...] can read about how he figured it out at his blog here. What’s cool is that each episode’s glyphs spell out a word that relates to the [...]

• 33 k blodgett // Apr 11, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I’ve never watched the show, I’ve only read these messages, but your own mirror image theme says N should be the mirror seahorse.

• 34 k blodgett // Apr 11, 2009 at 3:55 pm

sorry MMMM mirror seahorse.

• 35 Julian Sanchez // Apr 11, 2009 at 9:47 pm

That’s the obvious completion, of course, but there are other deviations from the symmetrical pattern, so leaving the unshown ones blank for now.

• 36 jess // Apr 12, 2009 at 2:39 am

wow…here i was just watching for pure pleasure..now that u guys have gone into a complete anaysis mode makes me curious. I am more interested in your thinking tha the show.

• 37 Sara // Apr 12, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Max,

I think you’re wrong about “F”… it should be the apple with the dot in the bottom right corner

• 38 *blazer, N of 60 // Apr 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm

So we know W is a mirror of V. From that, my thoughts on XYZ are…

X: left hand, fingers tilted toward top right, dot on top left
    Y: mirror of T
    Z: right hand, fingers tilted toward top left, dot on top right = mirror of X

This would give the last line of the glyphs a nice symmetry and explain the anomoly of the T glyph.

Thoughts?

• 39 Orbiting the Blogosphere « Axiom’s Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy // Apr 13, 2009 at 7:06 am

[...] A blogger cracks the code of the glyphs we see pop up at the commercial breaks in Fringe : Solution to the Fringe Glyph Cipher [...]

• 40 Cracking the fringe code « Digishark The Tech/Geek Blog // Apr 13, 2009 at 6:27 pm

[...] mean? Is it a secret code? What are they trying to tell us and how does it fit into the Pattern? Ars Technica editor Julian Sanchez  has finally cracked the code of the mysterious Fringe glyphs that appear during the commercial [...]

• 41 Darkrenzo // Apr 14, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I am very interested by this, but i am also a bit sceptical. i had never thought of these symbols being words, but i have always noticed the picture in the picture. for instance…. the black part in the core of the apples are in the shape of a fetus. things likw that. i would love to hear ppl thoughts on that.

• 42 J.P. // Apr 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm

did you get “PETER” during Fringe tonight?

• 43 dan // Apr 14, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I think the Images tie into the show. Like the fetus is genetically engineered people. The butterfly was in the episode where the guy was dossed with heavy hallucinogenics. That drug was taken from a frog. And wasn’t there a guy with 6 fingers? or some reference to that?

• 44 Chris // Apr 15, 2009 at 2:23 am

Yes, this would make sense as the completed key:

• 45 Glyphs used in Fringe TV series | UbiKann // Apr 15, 2009 at 5:19 pm

[...] came across an article by Julian Sanchez that explains what the glyphs mean that are used in the series Fringe just before adverts. The [...]

• 46 RiteStateOfMind // Apr 17, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Thank you all! I had a feeling that the placement of the dots were making unique instances of each.

I too, had failed with braille

…you don’t watch Lost do you???

• 47 ‘Fringe’ Symbols - Code Cracked! // Apr 18, 2009 at 10:30 am

[...] code was cracked by Ars Technica editor Julian Sanchez and Fringe Television has put together this graphic to [...]

• 48 tori1015 // Apr 19, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Wow!!!!!!! I kept trying to figure out what the symbols meant. Gosh, I hope they do not cancel this show.

• 49 Alex Natalizio // Apr 20, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Anyone ever notice the secret “Observers are here” message during the opening title?

• 50 Two Geeks and a Blog :: Geek News Television :: Fringe code decoded // Apr 21, 2009 at 8:31 am

[...] juliansanchez.com/…/solution-to-the-fringe-glyph-cipher Spread the Geekness: [...]

• 51 Julian Sanchez // Apr 21, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Alex-
    One of the bigger Fringe fan-sites is actually called “Observers are Here”

• 52 Belly // Apr 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Looks like Y is the mirror of T if tonight’s word was BELLY…

• 53 Ken // Apr 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm

tonight’s episode ending with a reverse of the “T” which makes sense to be a “Y” ..spelling out “BELLY” ? Is that correct? I wasn’t sure if I caught all the commercial breaks.

• 54 christina // Apr 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm

was it BELLY tonight, or did I read it wrong?

• 55 Julian Sanchez // Apr 22, 2009 at 12:35 am

“Belly” makes sense; Walter’s nickname for ex-lab-partner turned Massive Dynamics founder William Bell. One way to read these, incidentally, is as if each word identifies a particular character.

• 56 Scott // Apr 22, 2009 at 4:22 am

So to clarify:

WXYZ is a mirror of STUV?

When will someone print an updated Glyph Code Key?!

• 57 The Observer Rules! // Apr 22, 2009 at 11:27 am

Im assuming theres some overall message in the words?

This could be similar to what JERICHO 2006-2008 did, only they used morse code at the beginning of each episode to form words that were usually clues to something in the episode and at times strung together across multiple episodes to form a phrase.

With FRINGE, I suspect its far more complex and could be multi-layered. Once Season 1 is over and all the word clues are present it might be easier to figure out what the words mean.

• 58 The Observer Rules! // Apr 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

Updated list: latest 3 added from Fringepedia.
    15 WALTER
    16 PETER
    17 BELLY

• 59 Anthony // Apr 23, 2009 at 12:54 am

Actually are you sure it’s not Bellz, instead of Belly? What makes you so sure it’s a Y?

• 60 Anthony // Apr 23, 2009 at 12:54 am

As in William Bellz

• 61 Ryan // Apr 23, 2009 at 9:46 am

@Scott When will someone print an updated Glyph Code Key?!

I threw this together last week so i could use it as my wallpaper. It makes a couple of assumptions, but my guess for Y was correct, apparently.

4:3 Wallpaper (1440×1080)

16:9 Wallpaper (1920×1080) (includes plaintext words in the margins)

I’ll update the widescreen every week to add the remaining words. Just search stashbox for “fringe glyph wallpaper”

Also, I’ll adjust both if my guesses are inaccurate. No shame in guessing wrong, right?

• 62 Ryan // Apr 23, 2009 at 10:08 am

Oh, and I know it’s three weeks late, but excellent work on the decode.

• 63 Rich // Apr 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I’m pretty sure that last week’s glyphs were:
    B… E… L… L… (space/no glyph at 5th break) …W

W. BELL – William Bell

Not sure what relavance BELLZ and BELLY would have.

• 64 Rich // Apr 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Ah…..my mistake. The W is a different glyph.
    Belly is what Walter’s nickname for William Bell.
    I get it. =)

• 65 Jane // Apr 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Okay, I know I’m missing something, but what is the image of the smoke also supposed to be? Like with the Flower one petal is a dragonfly wing, what is the other image in the smoke? It’s driving me CRAZY! Can someone help?

• 66 Dave // Apr 28, 2009 at 3:45 pm

This is a bit anti-climactic. I was rather hoping that the combined message would say “Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.”

• 67 Bartle // Apr 28, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Tonight’s code is apparently EIGHT.

• 68 Jon // Apr 28, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Im confused what does eight have to do with the plot? there wasn’t eight victims was there?

• 69 Bartle // Apr 28, 2009 at 10:58 pm

There are two things I think EIGHT could be referring to, maybe the age of Elle, or to the eight vertebra in the neck called the Cervical Vertebra.

• 70 Rich // Apr 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm

There are seven cervical vertebrae, but EIGHT pairs of cervical nerves.

• 71 swooftguy // Apr 30, 2009 at 3:09 pm

What if the glyphs tie in with the “larger controlling mythology behind the show” in a more mathematical way than we’ve considered (or even can without the entire sequence code)? For example, the way the glyphs are patterned may have a direct relation to the Fibonacci sequence. We know this idea has had a great effect on the show, and it could be the “pattern within the pattern” we’re looking for.

I have to admit when I first saw the arrangement of dots within the glyphs I wondered how it would look if you overlayd the entire alphabet in photoshop. Erica Sadum did use this method to try to derive an alphabetic code, but is it possible that the complete cipher stacked may reveal that the dots fall within the pattern of the golden spiral? I like the idea that everything within the show, including these glyphs and their careful arrangement all ties back in to Fibonacci’s work. It would give it such a sense of completion wouldn’t it?

• 72 Shadna // Apr 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm

So, here’s a thought… the lights around each letter could be representative of a placement in Braille Code. Due to it’s use in the original sites I wonder if this could be important.

Now, I don’t know Braille and what I’ve compiled is based off of the Braille Alpha-Bet. Perhaps someone knows the codes with “?” (posted below this where “-” rep. BLANKS and “*” rep. DOTS).

Here’s what I have based on this theory:
    1. V

- *
    - *

13.

- -

15.

- -

Anyone? Email me if you do…

• 73 The Fringe Podcast Episode #34, "Midnight” | TheFringePodcast.com // May 2, 2009 at 1:54 am

[...] Links featured in this podcast: Syphilis Outbreak in Oklahoma Systemic Lupis Fringe Glyphs Solution [...]

• 74 agustin // May 5, 2009 at 1:35 am

Hey, the comics of fringe in the cover had the glyphs codes!!! enter in the next link to see the diferent covers.

• 75 agustin // May 5, 2009 at 1:38 am

and a new glyph in the comic-cover of the number 4

• 76 chris // May 7, 2009 at 2:11 am

This weeks…VISION or (VISSON) because of Olive’s visions

• 77 dbmerc // May 9, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Anyone notice how often peter says “As ready as I’ll ever be” in the show?

• 78 InnocentEvil // May 11, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I think I’ve got it… maybe…

• 79 InnocentEvil // May 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Though the “F” I got definetly a bit wrong – only the dot should be on the rigt side. the apple should not be mirrored, because the others aren’t either. (Sorry my fault… was a bit lazy.)

• 80 Emma // May 13, 2009 at 2:26 am

I found out that the Season 1 Finale’s glyphs spell out Grave. I won’t spoil it why for those that missed the episode.

• 81 Casey // May 13, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Jane- You’ve probably already figured it out, but the smoke turns into a woman’s face. It is a profile of the right side of her face. (Look for her eye)

• 82 The Observer Rules! // May 14, 2009 at 9:46 am

Love the newspaper on Bells table – though its disturbing to find there are TWO OBAMAs! If they ever meet face to face would both universes explode? Thought the World Trade center twin towers still existing was a nice tribute (though some people were disturbed by it for some reason, though lately Ive seen Escape from New York and 1976 King Kong on cable lately – both featured the Twin Towers prominently). They could have dedicated the episode to the victims of 9-11 – would have been a nice touch. Im hoping Bell tells Olivia about the major differences between the 2 universes.

• 83 Kyle // May 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Man, my memory must be really bad! There were 8 glyphs (OBSERVER) in Episode 1? I’m going to have to go back and watch it again…

• 84 Nell // May 14, 2009 at 7:45 pm

According to your code Episode two actually spells Breld

I’ve rewatched the ciphers multiple times and its definitle spelling Breld and it definetly does not spell child

Does Breld mean something or is this a typo?

• 85 Julian Sanchez // Jun 10, 2009 at 1:35 am

Huh. I went with what Erica Sadun recorded BEFORE the code was cracked, and her glyphs for that episode definitely do work out to “CHILD”. Possibly there are two versions floating around?

• 86 Daniel // Aug 9, 2009 at 12:54 am

I was thinking about a weird coincidence: Episode18 – the glyphs spell EIGHT
    Which took me to episode 8, where the Glyphs spell TAKEN.
    The next episode (19) had the curious name of “the road not TAKEN”

Maybe there is something regarding the logic of the code there or some other reference.

• 87 Julian Sanchez // Aug 9, 2009 at 4:32 am

Interesting. Haven’t looked at this for a bit; maybe it’s time now.

• 88 Swedennnnn // Aug 14, 2009 at 8:37 am

HOW FRIGGIN COOL!!
    Wiiiii!!!

• 89 Sci Fi Tracker: This Week in Sci Fi - Terminator Rises (At Least Once More); and What Could Possibly Make Fringe More Enigmatic? How Bout A Heapin’ Helpin’ of Spock? | Fancast News // Aug 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm

[...] gent named Julian Sanchez has apparently cracked the code behind all those bizarre embryo-seeded apples and high-fiving, [...]

• 90 nowthatsmint // Sep 2, 2009 at 12:59 pm

hi there, this has been really interesting, and thank you everyone for all the theories!!

i need to go watch all the episodes myself again but i’m just wondering.. that even the first code: OBSERVER, i find it really irrelevant, i mean it is for the later episode (episode 4) specifically but i reckon it is slightly random, also codes 14-17 are all characters, which is also interesting.. i find that way too fabricated for 4 characters to be in order, then randomly EIGHT, VISION & GRAVE.

basically i feel like these 20 words need to be somehow rearranged to tell a story, of course including ‘and’ ‘to’ etc. to make much sense.

eg) code2 CHILD could be a major reference to episode INNER CHILD which is episode 15. & ROGUE code 4 works more with episode 1 which is about agent scott as a double agent or even mitchell lobe’s case.
    idk but there is definitely something more to this.

gotta look into it more, i’m sure the season 1 codes have a significant meaning in itself, without having to wait for the season 2 glyphs.. i hope!

• 91 “Fringe” Glyph Cipher broken… | Cipher Mysteries // Sep 7, 2009 at 11:04 am

[...] code given a probability-weighted wordlist. And when he tried it out on the Fringe glyphs, it yielded their secrets almost at once (despite several errors in the ciphertext fragments - it’s just like the Renaissance all [...]

• 92 Fringe Glyphs Borrowed from Nazca Geoglyphs? // Sep 9, 2009 at 10:33 am

[...] Fringe glyphs, which make fleeting appearances between ad-breaks, was cracked earlier this year by Julien Sanchez. But for a while now, I’ve been wondering whether the symbols hold actual in-show meaning, [...]

• 93 Fringe & Other Fall TV Shows « domingo rogers // Sep 13, 2009 at 1:05 am

[...] after watching the show confirmed this.  One blog that has a well put together entry on this is by Julian Sanchez. What will the Fringe Glyph Cipher reveal this season?  You’ll have to watch for yourself to [...]

• 94 Steve // Sep 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Only thing I’d like to know, and it’s probably been said already, is how he matched the images with letters. It obviously depends on the orientation of the image and the position of the yellow dot, but I can’t come up with anything.

• 95 nowthatsmint // Sep 16, 2009 at 4:42 am

ok well i know 1.02 was ‘child’ at one point but ‘breld’ in another, which according to oxford means the cold air/mist that we breathe out when it’s cold. -who knew!
    and also, ‘surgg’ is latin for ‘arise/get up’ so maybe it wasn’t a mistake..?

idk if that changes anything, just excited to see what the next code is for the season premiere!
    but also i really wanna know what theses words all mean!

• 96 Bonnie // Sep 17, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I think tonight, you will find it spells Utopia(I am guessing from the first few letters)

• 97 Ryan // Sep 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm

season 2 episode 1 spelled TOWER
    making the palm up dot on the right W

• 98 Eliz // Sep 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I got TOWER …. not sure what that means ….

• 99 MetroidMan347 // Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57 pm

I think I cracked “W” the message I just got from deciphering the season 2 premiere “Tower” which makes sense considering Olivia met with William Bell in the Twin Towers in Manhattan.

• 100 Bryan // Sep 18, 2009 at 12:03 am

Tower…guessing that’s where it’s hidden, possibly meaning that’s where William Bell is hidden and the soldier is trying to hunt him down.

• 101 Shelly // Sep 18, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Hi, I’m not a huge Fringe fan and rarely ever watch it, not because I don’t like it, I just have another show that I have always watched, that unfortunately airs opposite Fringe. Kinda’ keeps me from being able to follow Fringe. Anyway, I was clueless about these “glyphs” until I watched the other week when the had the Fringe with the Tweet Peat… (God! was that ever a freakin’ nightmare! I’ll NEVER be involved with one of those again!!)

Anyway, I haven’t read ALL the posts above but enough to get the gist of things. Some of you have already eluded to the possibility of having more than one code or a code within a code. Understand, that what I’m going to be telling you is to help you keep your blinders off.

I am highly intelligent and fantastic at a whole lot of things, but alas, I am HORRIBLE at cryptograms and the like! One of those things that I mentioned that I am GREAT at is seeing the whole, especially once I see just a few of the pieces…. This code, that I would never stand a snowballs chance in southern LA, in solving, is going to mirror, the show. Specifically, in as much as the show is working in/with multiple universes, ……you can expect that there are probably multiple codes, and they are either going to have a or some codes with in each code, or…….the code itself will have codes with in the main code, or maybe even that each code within the main code will have multiple codes within each code.

Obviously, there will have to be a bottom….and there will obviously be an end purpose to this all. But as long as the show continues, they can add as many twists and turns and the like to confuse you, keep you on your toes, and to keep you from actually finding the final answer. In fact, as long as the show continues (as in seasons) they will also keep in mind that one of you geniuses will figure out the end “answer”. I say geniuses with all respect and awe!, no sarcasm!! I really envy people like yourselves! I may have a genius IQ but so far as I know it’s not equipped for this type of use! But this is what YOU guys do! And presumably enjoy! Anyway, I feel sure that they will assume that one of you or many of you will figure out what currently is the “answer”, therefore you can expect that in the attempt to keep the riddle going will have an alternate “answer”!

Oh, and if any of you is wondering, no. I am not in anyway affiliated with the show. I’m just a nobody! But I do have an excellent track record for being right! : ) It would be nice if I could prove that, wouldn’t it? I can’t say that I would write all the above in stone and I don’t know how deep this code goes, but I think it’s fair to assume that the longer the show runs the deeper the code goes. So, this is just my small attempt at helping and giving you all a bit of food for thought. Have fun! : )

• 102 Ryan // Sep 22, 2009 at 12:39 am

I bet X,Y,Z are the ram’s horn glyph!

• 103 Ryan // Sep 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm

season 2 episode 2 was MIRROR

• 104 Sci Fi Tracker: This Week in Sci Fi – Terminator Rises (At Least Once More); and What Could Possibly Make Fringe More Enigmatic? How Bout A Heapin’ Helpin’ of Spock? // Sep 26, 2009 at 8:40 am

• 105 Sci Fi Tracker: This Week in Sci Fi – Terminator Rises (At Least Once More); and What Could Possibly Make Fringe More Enigmatic? How Bout A Heapin’ Helpin’ of Spock? // Sep 26, 2009 at 8:40 am

• 106 Matt // Sep 28, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Has anyone taken into account the spacing in time of the commercial breaks? In season 1 it always said “will return in xx seconds”. At first I thought the images represented the time (in seconds) to fast forward through the commercials. But this quickly did not work out. Now in season 2 they have omitted the textual time stamp. I am wondering if this too relates to a code? Any thoughts?

• 107 Jon // Sep 29, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Dollhouse did that ” will will return in 90/60 seconds” thing also i think that was a Fox thing. dollhouse discontinued it this season, so maybe they realized that not only are they losing viewers of commercials by people who have dvrs, they also lose viewers of people watching live because people know they had so many seconds to go do something.

• 108 adrienne // Sep 30, 2009 at 12:58 am

…the 60/90 second thing was because both Fringe and Dollhouse were being sponsored by outside companies to allow for shortened commercial breaks. Jon – the commercial breaks are just longer now!

• 109 Ryan // Oct 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm

season 2 episode 3 spelled AURIAL
    no idea what it means
    as for commercial breaks that was FOX trying out remote free tv so people wouldn’t fast forward through commercials.

• 110 Otto // Oct 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm

S2E3 -BURIAL

• 111 tv highlights of the week « Egospace // Oct 2, 2009 at 1:26 pm

[...] One of the great things about Fringe is the attention to detail. The sets are meticulously dressed with real scientific equipment and there are many hidden things to look out for in each episode. For example, most episodes contain a hidden clue to the subject of the next week’s episode which usually only becomes clear in hindsight. There is also the Observer, a mysterious bald man who appears in every episode whether you notice him or not. Strange patterns made up of rectangles regularly appear. And there was also the glyph code, those bizarre symbols which appear throughout the show such as the six-fingered hand, which was eventually cracked. [...]

• 112 Ryan // Oct 2, 2009 at 5:18 pm

was it otto? thank god i just made a mistake i was gonna try looking up what it meant. i better start paying closer attention.

• 113 Ryan // Oct 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Season 2 episode 4 spelled MEMORY

• 114 MikeH // Oct 8, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Just noticed tonight… the image can be used as a clock, with the bright light identifying the hour, as well as the number of commercials to come. It’s worked for each commercial tonight. , the last couple being 7, 7, and 4.

• 115 steven haynes // Oct 12, 2009 at 5:20 pm

s 02 e04 spells memory

• 116 ENFRINGED // Oct 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm

October 15 word is
    BETRAY

• 117 Tammy // Oct 17, 2009 at 11:23 pm

There is an obvious pattern to the last line of glyphs. V and W are the center and mirror-images of each other. It is logical to me, then to assume that the X,Y,Z will be in a mirror-image pattern of S, T, U. The Y will probably be a mirror-image of T and the other glyphs, the Horns, will probably follow the pattern of having the dot on the lower outside of the trio. Perhaps X will be a right-facing horn with a dot on the lower-left and the Z will be left-facing Horn with the dot on the lower-right side. Also, there are 4 apples – does that mean there are possible 4 sets of twins? Lastly, there is a type of reflection called Fringe Reflection…hmmm…

• 118 Sara // Oct 18, 2009 at 12:42 pm

S is relection of U

• 119 Sulieman // Oct 21, 2009 at 3:20 am

Hi
    the second episode of the second season contains a new glyph it’s the opposite of the letter “N” and I believe it’s “M”.

• 120 KnightMearh // Oct 26, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Perhaps the words are anagrams like in the latest episode (s2e5 Dream Logic), where Olivia is asked to pick out letters of names on the business cards and then unscramble them. Maybe one or two letters (or the whole words in some order) from each word, combined and unscrambled, will spell something. My theory is that Abrams’ complexity with both Lost and Fringe suggests that he is merely providing us tools and not answers. Who knows, maybe we’re even being attempted to be recruited for the war…

• 121 autumn // Nov 6, 2009 at 12:07 pm

ur guys are wrong about surgg it is also latin for arise or get up

• 122 autumn // Nov 6, 2009 at 12:09 pm

s 02 eo 6 deja vu

• 123 roxy // Nov 13, 2009 at 8:42 am

s2ep7- arrive

• 124 Ο Άρχοντας των … Βατράχων « με φραπέ και τσιγάρα… // Nov 14, 2009 at 4:35 pm

[...] κώδικας σύμφωνα με μια τύπισσα ονόματι Julian Sanchez είναι αυτό που λέμε "a simple one-to-one, monoalphabetic substitution [...]

• 125 Read a Barcode // Nov 19, 2009 at 5:29 am

[...] we could look at the barcode digits as simple replacement cyphers — similar to the glyphs on the TV show “Fringe” — there is a key to the barcoding numbers themselves that would let a reader build a barcode [...]

• 126 Otto // Nov 20, 2009 at 9:27 am

S2e8 word was “blight”

• 127 Otto // Dec 4, 2009 at 1:31 am

S2E9 – HIDDEN

• 128 sleeper // Dec 10, 2009 at 10:59 pm

S2E10 -portal

• 129 Guillermo // Dec 13, 2009 at 7:25 am

It’s possible that these symbols contains the usser and password to enter at the employee access on the website of Massive Dynamic?

• 130 Mike // Dec 29, 2009 at 12:10 am

BTW, a possible solution for the ‘SURGG’ spelling:

The leaf for characters A, B, G, and H all have a delta on it, which is actually two symbols. Delta with the base down is ‘change’, but delta with the base up is the vector operator ‘del’, which is a partial differential change vector. When it’s applied to a scalar field, you get a product called a POTENTIAL, which is what that episode is about. That potential is known as a GRADIENT.

Just saying.

• 131 Mike // Dec 29, 2009 at 12:14 am

Strike that: a potential is a scalar field that is equal to the gradient of a vector field. That’s what I meant. So, when you apply del to a scalar potential field, you get a vector field. That’s better.

• 132 Vicki // Jan 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm

After watching Season 1 DVD 1, I discovered the whole “alphabet code” thing, which disappointed me. The idea that this was a mere substitution code had never occurred to me. I was much more interested in the glyphs themselves, and their intrinsic meanings.

For instance, the leaf has a triangle in the middle (representing the number 3), the hand has six fingers (6), the apple has two fetuses (2), and the seahorse has a perfect spiral inside, which represents the Fibonacci numbers (1,2,3,5,8,13,etc.). The frog has the Cyrillic letter ф on it, which is the 22nd letter of their alphabet, and is equivalent to the “f” sound–but is also related to the number 500. The glyph which fascinates me the most is the daisy, which always gives me an initial impression of a bird silhouette in one of the petals, my second impression being that other petals resemble insect wings. The butterfly appears to be made of bones, and the horn again represents Fibonacci numbers.

Does anyone have theories about what the glyphs themselves represent, other than oddities?

• 133 Traducción del código de Fringe | Blog of all // Jan 8, 2010 at 9:09 am

[...] logrado descifrar el código que aparece en las pausas de cada capítulo de Fringe. Resulta que el periodista Julián Sánchez descifró este pequeño juego llamado “Glyph code” con el que los creadores de Fringe [...]

• 134 Johnny Knox // Jan 11, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Julian Sanchez… can to give an example of specifically why you believe a certain glyph is a specific letter. i.e. why is the seahorse an N.

• 135 Otto // Jan 12, 2010 at 1:06 am

S2E11 was AVENGE

• 136 Mike // Jan 14, 2010 at 7:43 pm

OK, I’m a little confused, I thought that Olivia killed her ‘partner’ in S2E10 who was actually already dead, killed by the shapeshifter who took on his appearence. But the partner is active in S2E11, so, did S2E10 take place in the other dimension? Could it be that each alternate episode takes place in the other dimension?

• 137 Coyaaa // Jan 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm

New episode reveals that the seahorse with the light on the left is an “M”. The episode isn’t over yet but I can tell it’s gonna say “mutant”

• 138 Coyaaa // Jan 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Mike, I was confused about that too.

• 139 Coyaaa // Jan 14, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Nvm. It ended up saying mutate. But the seahorse with the light on the left is an M. Fo sho. So someone needs to add that to the chart.

• 140 Otto // Jan 15, 2010 at 8:25 am

S2E12: MUTATE

• 141 Otto // Jan 15, 2010 at 8:27 am

Mike, I noticed that too. I think they may just be showing the episodes out of order.

• 142 Johnny Knox // Jan 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

last week was an unaired episode from Season One.

That’s why Charlie was in it.

• 143 Mike // Jan 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Thanks, yes, I realized it was S2E4 that she kills Charlie (I was watching them out of order on Hulu).

So, it would have been much earlier in the season.

Does anyone have a complete list of the names of the Episodes from both seasons along with their coded word, in order?

There was something in the last episode where Walter created words to a song to remember his old law library name… just wondering.

• 144 Cracking the ‘Fringe’ code – Absurd Intellectual // Jan 17, 2010 at 6:46 pm

[...] plenty of work being done online to crack the code (it’s not hard, but it’s not obvious). Here’s [...]

• 145 Rosie // Jan 17, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I do believe one of the missing images is a rabbit, and possibly a ripped photo. I was at Fox.com watching bonus Fringe videos, and this showed up on the side: http://www.fox.com/fringe/hidden/
    If you look at the bottom, it shows all of the images.

• 146 Little_c22 // Jan 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm

vincow?

• 147 Otto // Jan 22, 2010 at 1:25 am

S2E13: WINDOW

• 148 Rosie // Jan 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm

S2E14: Father.

• 149 MrDerka // Jan 30, 2010 at 4:17 am

What i don’t get is the missing letters in the in the Glyph Cipher isn’t some thing missing? If you used each image 4 times with a dot in each corner wouldn’t that instead give you a cipher for A-Z + 0-9? Or do the missing letter’s REALLY matter

• 150 Otto // Feb 4, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Did anybody else notice that they misspelled “Manhattan” right at the beginning of tonights episode?

• 151 Otto // Feb 5, 2010 at 12:33 am

S2E15: REVEAL

• 152 Charlie // Feb 5, 2010 at 11:58 pm

They didn’t misspell it… it was from the alternate universe, so they might start using the spelling differences to distinguish which universe wea re watching.

The sad thing is I’ve only seen 2 Fringe episodes and figured this out already…

• 153 Mike // Feb 6, 2010 at 12:48 am

Nice theory Charlie. I was suspecting that they would start showing episodes from both realities without telling us. But one problem… it is pretty evident that the Peter Bishop from this universe died at some point, and Walter brought the Peter from the other dimension here to replace him. So, any episode with Peter in it, should take place here.

Which makes me start to wonder why people like Olivia are so special. Perhaps they do not have a double in the other universe.

• 154 Ruthie // Feb 8, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Rosie: I played that game, and the only one I can’t find is the dumb frog! Did you find all of them?

• 155 Big CUP-O-Coffee // Feb 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Where can I see episodes 3 through 9 of the second season? I’m behind on my veiwing.

Thanks

• 156 Big CUP-O-Coffee // Feb 9, 2010 at 10:54 pm

frog is in the tree next to the dot Ruthie.

• 157 Fringe Practitioner // Feb 17, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I’ve been using TIVO to purchase episodes (2 dollars each) from Amazon. You can also purchase from Blockbuster. Some episodes are available on DVD from Netflix if you’re a member. Otherwise, I suggest you set your TV recorder to pick up all new episodes so you don’t miss any in the future.

• 158 Big CUP-O-Coffee // Feb 22, 2010 at 11:16 am

Fair enough, thanks I’ll check out blockbuster-Online? I know itunes has it also but have not researched it yet.

• 159 Rosie // Feb 23, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Ruthie:
    As I recall, the frog was on a tree to the right, blending in with the bark.

• 160 Joe // Feb 26, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Are they misspelling messages and words in scenes from the other side? Manhattan, surgg in E5.

Love the Olivia doesn’t have a double theory.

• 161 Inevitability // Mar 1, 2010 at 2:51 am

slightly off topic…
    In S2E14, the Fringe team comes in to the coffee shop and they are confused how all these un-realted people are killed (cos they thought it was just blood-relatives, after the wedding scene).
    Just a few moments before Walter figures out the common factor is eye colour, there’s a shot of Broyles and his one eye is really red. But in the next shot of Broyles, his eyes are fine.
    You think that was doen purposefully?
    I mean, these are professionals… they’d never film a shot with a guy having one eye really red by accident.

…Thoughts?

• 162 TV Highlights of the Week « Transmission // Mar 11, 2010 at 6:33 am

[...] One of the great things about Fringe is the attention to detail. The sets are meticulously dressed with real scientific equipment and there are many hidden things to look out for in each episode. For example, most episodes contain a hidden clue to the subject of the next week’s episode which usually only becomes clear in hindsight. There is also the Observer, a mysterious bald man who appears in every episode whether you notice him or not. Strange patterns made up of rectangles regularly appear. And there was also the glyph code, those bizarre symbols which appear throughout the show such as the six-fingered hand, which was eventually cracked. [...]

• 163 Mikki // Apr 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm

NEW EPISODE CODE CRACKED:

WORD: PETERS
    (YES ITS PLURAL)
    the episode is all about the 2 different peters (actually the whole episode is walter’s flashback)
    the episode was a bit boring. it was more like an info-fill-in episode. like that new harry potter movie. no plot to that episode. just answers to questions. cant wait for the rest of the new episodes

your fringe fan
    -mikki

• 164 Otto // Apr 2, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Complete code and answers here: http://fringewiki.fox.com/page/Fringe+Glyph+Code+Key

• 165 John_Abruzzi // Apr 9, 2010 at 6:38 am

S2E17

ENERGY

• 166 Jessy_Angel // Apr 12, 2010 at 4:29 pm

S2E16: PETERS

• 167 Big CUP-O-Coffee // Apr 16, 2010 at 11:14 am

SECRET

• 168 Big CUP-O-Coffee // Apr 16, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Anybody find the observer, last episode?

• 169 Cold // May 1, 2010 at 6:32 am

I’m hoping someone will eventually make sense out of these words (per season) and find the over-arcing meaning. Is there anything about this yet?

• 170 The Scariest Thing I Ever Saw: Another JJ Abrams Viral | ARGNet: Alternate Reality Gaming Network // May 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm

[...] the cancellation of LOST’s Dharma Initiative ARG and the Fringe ARG devolving into a series of glyph ciphers hidden in each episode.  However, Abrams’ most recent alternate reality game Alert Vulcan [...]

• 171 Mike // May 11, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I missed the code for the Brown Betty Episode, anyone have that one? EP21 is RETURN

• 172 amy // Jul 2, 2010 at 7:51 pm

what happened to the salamander that used to show?

• 173 Sin lost Ahora Fringe ? -- Linux Los Angeles // Jul 6, 2010 at 9:40 am

[...] paso con LOST, ahora puede pasar con FRINGE en nuevo fenómeno que se esta dando, por ejemplo en [JulianSanchez.com] nos muestra el abecedario que se utiliza en Fringe en cada capítulos, A veces las respuestas que [...]

• 174 Fringe 3 | RP Hub // Jul 19, 2010 at 2:03 am

[...] And the Glyphs explanation [...]

• 175 karslow // Jul 19, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Did anyone thought of combining the Green Green Green Red Sequence saw through all two seasons with the glyphs? Maybe taking the fourth letter out of each episode words makes another word or sentence or taking every fourth word in each season… Something I’ve been thinking after a rewatch

• 176 Fringe Glyph Translator // Aug 6, 2010 at 9:02 pm

[...] just before a commercial break.  There was much speculation about the meaning of the glyphs until Julian Sanchez finally cracked the code.  After reading an article about this whole glyph thing, I thought that [...]

• 177 Sonia // Oct 15, 2010 at 6:25 am

Theres a new letter. F is apple with the dot in the lower right corner :)

• 178 nohahahahahaha // Oct 20, 2010 at 10:45 am

i cant find the apple

• 179 nohahahahahaha // Oct 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

never mind!

• 180 hai ou // Nov 17, 2010 at 11:36 pm

wow, that’s cool, and I am from China

• 181 Yahoo Stores // Dec 13, 2010 at 6:09 am

Let me think what could be in the blank letter. I am so tardy..

• 182 Aerioness // Dec 18, 2010 at 5:40 am

I have the words for season 2 up through ep 17. What r the words for the remaining episodes?

• 183 Shirley // Jan 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

@Aerioness
    Season 2:
    Episode 18: SECRET
    Episode 19: BRIDGE
    Episode 20: HEART
    Episode 21: RETURN
    Episode 22: WEAPON
    Episode 23:WEISS

• 184 Shelby Beach // Feb 6, 2011 at 1:10 am

Why is it that on the hand (straight up) and the face, the dots aren’t in the right places. In all the others, the dots are in four corners, in those, they are in the middle…hmmmmmmmmmmm

• 185 University Girl // Feb 11, 2011 at 2:19 am

Hey all Fringers,
    Question for y’all: the glyph of the “smoke…”
    What is it really? The guy who put me onto the show INSISTED that it was an x-ray of the inner ear. Is he right??
    Couldn’t quite figure out from other pictures and such, so any help would be lovely.
    Thanks!

• 186 University Girl // Feb 11, 2011 at 2:31 am

Nevermind, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. FINALLY looked at a blown up version of the glyph, and it is quite clearly a profile. Sorry for those whom I doubted! ;)
    So, are there other websites that offer theories to how the words should be handled??
    Please share if you can.
    Thanks!

• 187 jlake // Feb 26, 2011 at 2:00 am

Cool show…a code? Watch the episode, then try to guess the word by determining what you just watched. EX. MAKE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE.

• 188 Jillian // Mar 14, 2011 at 5:01 am

PLEASE HELP…
    Can someone take two seconds to explain to me how this dude used the images and yellow dot positions to come up with an alpahbet. He keeps saying how he solved it in minutes, making me feel kinda stupid. I’m not an encrypting or decrypting geek, but im very interested in Sanchez’s methodology. (I don’t want a example of the methodology unless it specifically has to do with FRINGE’s puzzle)

• 189 Gjenike // Mar 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Whats with abrams and codes, alternate realities,etc. Its so cool. Always knew e wierd images meant something.

• 190 stan edes // Apr 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Would you like to Watch Fringe Episodes online>? If yes, than go through the link.

• 191 Slevin // May 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

OK can someone tell me how to decipher these pictures? ok I understand the picture you all put up with all the words and all but how did u get the words from the pictures?

• 192 ¡Contenido bloqueado! | El Observador de Series // May 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm

[...] que mantenían relación con la trama del episodio en cuestión. Como dato curioso, recalcar que la entrada explicativa y difamatoria en el blog de Sánchez fue publicada el 7 de abril de 2007. Sin embargo, no fue hasta el 2010 [...]

• 193 Luckie // Jun 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Fell out of bed feeling down. This has brtigheend my day!

• 194 justin holt // Sep 2, 2011 at 3:54 am

All of us are eagerly waiting for Fringe Episodes to return and the reason is that every single fan of the series wants to know what happens next with Peter Bishop.

• 195 Fringe ça frise la prise de tête ^^ | Sorajima // Sep 22, 2011 at 11:38 am

[...] recomposant les mots un lien avec l’épisode mais ce n’est pas tout… Le fan a expliqué sur son blog qu’il a du utiliser le chiffrement de César pour reconstituer cet alphabet. De là à imaginer [...]

• 196 User Levels in Participatory Media, part 1 #transmedia « Transmeditations // Nov 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm

[...] to your content.  They’re the people who spent days breaking the code that appears before each commercial.  They’re the ones who applied countless numerology theories on the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 [...]

• 197 Andrew // Nov 5, 2011 at 10:34 am

That’s awesome. I just started watching Fringe and was wondering what those were about. The more I read about this show the more interesting it becomes (I’ve always loved ‘Easter-eggs’ and other hidden extras). And to think I probably wouldn’t have ended up watching this show at all if I hadn’t stumbled over it while browsing DISH Network’s (my employer) streaming site: dishonline(dot)com. It has a ton of content including a bunch of episodes of Fringe. I have a lot of catching up to do on this show.

• 198 grant // Dec 17, 2011 at 9:58 pm

123
    1234

• 199 drakken // Dec 23, 2011 at 7:48 am

That frog looks a little bit out of phase… Maybe a map would show it where to leap next.

• 200 Baabs // Feb 24, 2012 at 6:11 am

Y is actually the one that looks like a head made of smoke blowing out smoke.

• 201 Krissy // Apr 12, 2012 at 11:46 am

Here’s another one to solve on this article: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/fringe-increase-fan-perhaps-nothing-205900872.html :)

• 202 Mike // Apr 28, 2012 at 5:39 am

S4-E20: A-L-I-V-E

• 203 Mike // May 5, 2012 at 2:42 am

S4-E21: P-O-W-E-R-S

• 204 michelle // May 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm

This is a bunch of bull. I just tried it and got the “word” pouer

• 205 Mike // May 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm

S5-E22: P-U-R-G-E

• 206 smpltnimnt // Jul 21, 2012 at 5:30 am

KEY RELEASED TO REST OF CIPHER ON SEASON 1 DVD
    I just finished watching season one four days ago and noticed the obvious cipher. My attempts to solve it led me here but I believe I have found the key to the rest of the cipher table.
    The glyph cipher on the dvd menu drove me crazy. I had to crack it. It didn’t take nearly as long as I thought.
    Notice the dot on the sea horse is not over the tail? This IS the cipher for “Z” and I would hypothesize that “X” would be this glyphs reflection if you follow the pattern of the rest of the table.
    The leaf has the dot at the top and the leaf is curving to the left. This was so puzzling to me as it is in actuality a combination of the two ciphers “A” and “B,” revealing how to crack any derivitive of the glyphs.
    Using the Caesar Cipher referenced in the show with a little twist, the cipher reads “ZRAB.” Using basic Caesar Cipher would yield “CUDE.” This is where the twist comes in.
    Instead of moving forward in the alphabet with the letter “R” you move backwards, the cipher fittingly and almost explicitly reads “CODE,” as though the key was right in front of us from the beginning.
    Hope this helps those like me who cannot let a puzzle go unsolved. You’re welcome also for, as far as I can tell, finishing the cipher code if my posit is correct for the unknown characters.
    Here is a link to an updated fringe glyph cipher I scavenged from here and updated which is, I believe, correct and finally complete.
    gnr 120721

• 207 Fringe, tercera temporada: ciencia-ficción de la buena | useramas // Aug 22, 2012 at 11:26 am

[...] Al parecer, el código no era público y fue descifrado por el muy norteamericano (pese al nombre) Julián Sánchez. En la Fringepedia tenéis todas las palabras que aparecen en la [...]

• 208 Michael // Aug 22, 2012 at 11:50 am

The menu in the season three release indicates that the letter ‘F’ is also a halved apple but does not indicate placement of the yellow orb. Given the other apple images I would think the yellow orb would be placed bottom-right.

• 209 Lee // Oct 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Why does the frog have on its back the Greek letter phi, Φ ?

• 210 Fringe 5.06 ‘Through the Looking Glass and What Walter Found There’ Review | Watch free online full tv show episodes and movies. // Nov 11, 2012 at 1:42 am

[...] word. The code actually wasn’t broken until partway through season 1, when a gentleman named Julian Sanchez realized that it’s a “simple one-to-one, monoalphabetic substitution [...]

• 211 Cracking the Observer code: the (disappointing) cryptanalysis of Fringe | Sealed Abstract // Nov 27, 2012 at 7:01 pm

[...] easily-decodable) messages into the shows, and famously their glyphs have been solved through machine-assisted cryptanalysis.As the series has developed, a group of beings called The Observers have become more and more [...]

• 212 http://tinyurl.com/amer-8154308203 // Jan 9, 2013 at 2:15 am

“Solution to the Fringe Glyph Cipher” truly
    makes myself think a tiny bit extra. I really enjoyed every single part of it.
    I appreciate it ,Elisha

• 213 Egnirf // Jan 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm

all code and episodes…

• 214 Final Fringe Friday « ChompRetro // Jan 18, 2013 at 8:59 pm

[...] I found myself engrossed in what those glyphs meant and through Google’s ramose touch, found this post by Julian Sanchez (a few years late) which impressively explained the meaning behind the glyphs’ [...]

• 215 Miscellaneous Fringe References // Jan 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm

[...] Sanchez, Julian (2009-04-07). “Solution to the Fringe Glyph Cipher”. http://www.juliansanchez.com/2009/04/07/solution-to-the-fringe-glyph-cipher/. Retrieved [...]

• 216 the transmedia of fringe | james carter // Feb 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

[...] took the better part of the first season for someone to decipher the code, and Julian Sanchez was the guy who did it. Each glyph corresponded to a letter of the English alphabet, and together, the letters spelled a [...]

• 217 jeff // Feb 24, 2013 at 5:00 pm

hey there is a code used extensivly in my household and i need help cracking it. is there anyone that can crack the following screenshot.

• 218 sublime.maantok-ent.com // Mar 6, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I’ve truly loved browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing in your feed and I hope you write once more soon!

• 219 Puck_Daddy99 // Apr 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm

The translation for episode 3: AEGER [Latin for "sick"] does not make any sense to me.

I posit that AEGER in the episode context is a reference to a fossil which is very well preserved. http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Sites/solnhofen/Aeger-shrimp/aegerfossil.htm OK so it is a goofy looking shrimp but if you can get past that point, the most important feature is that they are perfectly preserved.

In this episode, do the passengers not look exactly like the mosquito in the handle of the cane in Jurassic Park, perfectly preserved in petrified Amber? If nobody cut the victims out of the bus they would never decay as no organisms could survive in that petrified/vacuum like atmosphere.

Probably put too much thought into this but I have this issue about making things make sense to me.

• 220 paphos car rentals cyprus // Apr 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm

paphos car hire is one of the best sandy beaches in Cyprus.
    Therefore flying to Reus also offers you the possibility of assimilating the northern
    federation with the southern.

• 221 darmowe gry hazardowe w automaty jedno renki bandyta // Apr 20, 2013 at 10:24 am

Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp so much
    about this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something.

I feel that you simply could do with a few p.
    c. to pressure the message house a little bit, but other than
    that, that is excellent blog. A great read.
    I’ll definitely be back.

• 222 Charley // Apr 25, 2013 at 4:49 am

Apotik Tempo is an farmacia on line in cases of diabetes, heart disease and blood pressure should use farmacia on line with caution.
    In February 2012, more parcels addressed to his home were intercepted.

• 223 breaking news // May 2, 2013 at 7:09 am

28 million presciptions in just six months for farmacia on line to be a
    showstopper for us; Ross, for example, if only.
    farmacia on line’s effects on the vascular system, especially in the context of developing Tefina. If you’re
    looking for it and others have yet to find a direct comparison.
    If Apple delivers on its desire to create longer-lasting, more power efficient than
    Android 3. Tebow’s appearance was meant to be broken.

• 224 discount sports jerseys // Oct 18, 2013 at 3:02 am

I’ve just lately began an important weblog, the words you present in this particular website contains helped all of us tremendously. Thanks for your time for the time & get the job done.

• 225 http://wifibooster.com.my // Mar 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Because the admin of this website is working, no doubt very quickly it will be
    famous, due to its quality contents.

• 226 teeth whitening best // Mar 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

This piece of writing offers clear idea designed for the new people of blogging, that
    truly how to do running a blog.

Here is my blog … teeth whitening best

• 227 breaking bad game xbox // Mar 8, 2014 at 3:39 am

You don’t want to be too strong on the seduction,
    but you do want to implement as many subtle tactics as you can.
    Rarely does a NBA player play on his favorite team, so why should
    it have to happen here. This free ‘Breaking Bad’ app for your i –
    Phone, i – Pad or i – Pod Touch is as cool and unusual as the show
    itself.

• 228 roll up garage door // Mar 20, 2014 at 4:43 am

They are also the entry through which very many people enter their homes
    at the end of long days. Steel garage doors cost about
    $600 for the most basic variety and there are many more styles
    which are priced accordingly. Rolling shutters of ROMA have a patented sound body
    and are therefore pleasantly quiet.

• 229 teeth whitening virginia beach // Mar 23, 2014 at 1:24 am

I have been surfing on-line more than three hours as of
    late, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is beautiful price enough for me. Personally, if all web owners and bloggers
    made good content as you probably did, the web shall be a lot more helpful
    than ever before.

Here is my homepage :: teeth whitening virginia beach

• 230 teeth whitening vancouver wa // Mar 25, 2014 at 7:30 pm

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who had been conducting a little research on this.
    And he actually bought me lunch because I discovered it for him…
    lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this subject here on your blog.

my web-site :: teeth whitening vancouver wa

• 231 online money maker // Mar 31, 2014 at 6:44 pm

There are numerous sites that host clicks
    with the members and you’re simply free to earn about 15-85% from this.
    For example, you can search for opportunities for a graphic designer,
    web developer, content writer, or even as a research assistant.
    But the condition is that the article should get approved by the sites.

• 232 liquid nitrogen wart removal // Apr 1, 2014 at 1:23 am

Once you have one or two aloe skin gels throughout the house, then you
    can lose your family hpv warts inside of 2-3 one month!

You need to some pure also your self which it through aloe vera gelatinated, in this case combine which it in direction of the wart
    using a component of duct mp3, home owner our 100 % cotton fabric employing a top notch unique
    each day. Warts definitely should go away for good in the most weeks time.

• 233 college basketball schedule // Apr 3, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Hello, this weekend is pleasant in favor of me, because this occasion i am reading this wonderful educational paragraph here at my home.

Here is my web blog … college basketball schedule

• 234 Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Prices // Apr 18, 2014 at 8:05 am

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site,
    how ccan i subscribe for a blog website? Thee account
    aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a liittle bit
    acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

My site; Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Prices