A Potter Prediction

July 18th, 2005 · 62 Comments

I just want to get this on the record now, before it’s conventional wisdom: At the end of the most recent Harry Potter book, one mystery left unresolved is the identity of a certain “R.A.B.” who (so as not to spoil the ending) let’s just say appears to have betrayed Lord Voldemort in a pretty serious way. I think it’s pretty clear that this has got to be Regulus Black, a former Death Eater presumed killed when he tried to back out of service to Voldemort and brother to the late Sirius Black (Harry Potter’s godfather). We know Sirius Black had an Uncle Alphard who left him some money and a house (12 Grimmaud Place, HQ of the Order of the Phoenix), and knowing the emphasis wizards put on family, it’s scarcely a stretch to imagine Sirius Black’s brother’s full name as Regulus Alphard Black.

Tags: Language and Literature

• 1 stacyq // Jul 18, 2005 at 12:01 pm

It has to be Rebellus. The big question is whether Dumbledore was wrong about Snape. Thoughts? I’m torn. Dumbledore hints abundantly about his expendability, his being near death, and his absolute trust in Snape. On the other hand, he also makes clear in this book that he sometimes makes big mistakes. I think there’s still more to this story. On an unrelated point, I try my best to avoid spoilers and was sad to have come across one on this blog a few months back.

• 2 stacyq // Jul 18, 2005 at 12:28 pm

My apologies….I just read that Nat’l Review piece and realized it wasn’t a spoiler at all, just the author’s theory.

• 3 Alsouvi // Aug 18, 2005 at 9:44 pm

I am convinced that Regulus stole the locket Horcrux and left the letter. I think he staged his death and is an animagus like Sirius. Perhaps he is Crookshanks – as Crookshanks is so present in EVERY book.

I also believe that Snape did not betray Dumbledore. I think he HAD to do it and what D was asking Snape to do before he died is stick to the plan. And he did.

I think Regulus, Peter Pettigrew and Snape will somehow be helping Harry to defeat V.

THoughts????

• 4 Gary // Sep 5, 2005 at 10:33 pm

I agree that RAB is Regulus Alphard Black. In the same chapter of OotP in which we learn of him and Uncle Alphard, we also see a heavy locket that no one could open. Sirius and the kids put it with other stuff to be thrown out. Kreacher no doubt retrieved it, however. Since then, Mundungus Fletcher has been stealing stuff from the house, and we’ve seen him selling stuff to the barman at the Hog’s Head. There are also clues (the smell of goats) that Dumbledore’s brother Aberforth is that barman.

So I picture Regulus trying to get out of the Death Eaters, and knowing that they are after him. He probably took Kreacher to assist him in getting the Slytherin locket Horcrux and left the famous RAB note. He returned home exhausted from the ordeal, barely had time to put the locket on a shelf, and was ambushed and killed by Death Eaters. They had no idea where he had just come from and what he had just done. They had no idea that a piece of their master’s soul lay just a few feet away from them.

During HBP the locket was taken from Grimmauld Place. Aberforth Dumbledore probably has it now, and he probably has no idea what it is. But Rowling has left us a fairly solid provenance for it. The mystery now is how Harry will discover it.

I also believe, but without such solid evidence, that Voldemort intended Harry’s death to create the final Horcrux in the Gryffindor sword. It was probably at Godric’s Hollow that night, but has been in Dumbledore’s possession ever since. When Voldemort began his return to power he probably made Nagini a temporary Horcrux until and unless he can get the sword, which he would much prefer. He already has the Hufflepuff cup and the Ravenclaw item hidden somewhere. Anyone know of any clues about them? I can’t find any so far.

I’m also absolutely convinced that a large part of book seven will be Snape’s story. I’m persuaded that he is a true hero, acting completely on Dumbledore’s orders.

• 5 Anonymous // Nov 15, 2005 at 9:02 pm

I am truly confused and frustrated about Dumbledore’s burnt hand. How did it get burnt? And I also think that Snape is on Dumbledore’s side.

• 6 Anonymous // Nov 15, 2005 at 9:02 pm

• 7 dana o sullivan // Nov 16, 2005 at 10:24 am

Hey cool site.
    i’ve been saying for ages what you said about R.A.B.
    it’s nice to know others thought of it too.

• 8 Anonymous // Nov 16, 2005 at 10:26 am

Dumbledore’s hand got burnt when he destroyed Marvolo’s ring- it was a Horcrux

• 9 harry potter // Nov 19, 2005 at 6:41 pm

alas my friends i am feeling week, since losing dumbledore, my mentor and my friend, my heart and soul are torn. i feel in the next book i am destined for a slow and painful death, ron the true hero of the books will take on the task of saving the world from voldemorts terror. all hail king ron!

• 10 maureen // Nov 22, 2005 at 4:00 pm

ive been saying REgulus was RAB since the day the book came out. I’m glad someone else thinks so too. Because I think it would be so stupid if RAB turned out to be someone we’d never head of. It has to be Regulus Black.

• 11 Logan // Nov 29, 2005 at 5:37 pm

first of all, after reading HBP, there are two mysteries left to solve. First who is this R.A.B, and what are the remaining Horcruxes. I think RAB cant be Regulus, why wud J.K. Rowling give us such a big clue that would give it away? it has to be someone mysterious, someone we cant think of, but certainly was mentioned before…

• 12 Will // Dec 4, 2005 at 3:30 pm

In Dutch RAB is RAZ. In Dutch Sirius Black is named Sirius Zwarts(Zwart means Black)!!
    Cool!

• 13 Crissy // Dec 13, 2005 at 10:22 pm

I too have been saying for ages that R.A.B is Regulus Alphard Black. Why else would J.K.Rowling have a reason to bring him into the story,all characters that have once been mentioned has played a bigger role later whether by relation(Susan Bones,her Aunt did Harry’s appeal in OotP) or by direct name (Sirius was mentioned in early book 1 and now look at HIS role)

I have also not thought about Regulus to be Crookshanks-A very good point,it is possible,but wouldn’t eitherA) Sirius have known Crookshanks was an Animagus,He knew Peter wasn’t what the others thought or B) Regulus have shown himself?It was his brother.

But I do not deny,it is highly possible he is Crookshanks.
    And Wormtail has to play a bigger role in 7. After all…Harry did save his life in book 3

And,Snape…I am not quite sure what to believe.I liked him in the other books reguardless of what Harry said.And in HBP i felt slightly betrayed but a friend said he only killed Dumbledore as per his(D) request,after all he was pleading.

Yet If we,on this site are wrong…then we shall… feel incredibly stupid…I will
    THank you for listening…rather reading…the rantings of a HP fan.

• 14 Airagorn // Dec 15, 2005 at 5:27 pm

I agree that Snape is not actually on Voldemort’s side. I think that He made the unbreakable vow because he knew that Dumbledore would want him to protect Draco.

I also think that Trevor (Neville’s toad) is an animagus. And I Think it’s EVIL!!!

• 15 elixir // Dec 16, 2005 at 2:41 am

Love Gary’s post on RAB, the locket, the gryffindor sword, and aberforth and mundungus…it all seems to fit but I hadnt picked it up myself.

Gary also asks about ravenclaw horcrux. Well what about the tiara? its mentioned in the dying chapters of HBP, oh so casually, in the room of requirement, and then stranegly enough its mentioed again a few pages later when molly weasley talks about putting a tiara on fleur for the wedding. Also rowena ravenclaw is a woman so that might point to a feminine object like a tiara, and the revenclaws are brainy people – again tiara – a crown for the head..honouring the brain…right?

Cheers elixir

• 16 Rhapsody // Dec 17, 2005 at 1:36 am

Wasn’t there a part in book three (Prisoner of Azkaban) where Rowling wrote that someone spied Padfoot (Sirius in his animagus form) and Crookshanks near the Whomping Willow from the Gryffindor common room window? Or am I just imagining things?
    Maybe Regulus Black (RAB, in my opinion) IS Crookshanks?
    Can anyone remember Stubby Boardman? He, apparently, retreated from the public spotlight (I can’t recall what he did, though) Just before Regulus was killed. I believe that Regulus, Stubby and Crookshanks are all the same person, and that RAB stole the original locket horcrux before he was ‘killed’.

I also believe, after much deliberation over the above posts, that Severus only killed Dumbledore on his own orders, that he intended to make Voldermort believe that one of the greatest wizards known was dead. Of course, the portraits of past headmasters would still be in the castle, INCLUDING the portrait of Dumbledore. Even though he is dead, he is still there to assist Harry in his quest to thwart Voldermort.

As for Wormtail, doesn’t he still owe Harry for saving his life in PoA? Or is that another one of my imaginary stories?

I bid you all a fond farewell… if anyone has any more information they wish to add to my theory, feel free to do so at your leisure.

Rhapsody

• 17 joe // Dec 19, 2005 at 2:03 am

Whoever R.A.B. is, they are going to have to materialize and become Harry’s new guiding light. Not only does R.A.B. know how Voldemort has secured his immortality (which up til now only Harry, Dumbledore, and Voldemort were the only ones who knew), but they have also already begun the quest to destroy the horcruxes, so they will undoubtedly have to work with Harry in book 7 to destroy the remaining horcruxes. What I don’t understand is how Harry will be able to attend Hogwarts AND seek out and destroy four more horcruxes.

I believe Severus was doing what Dumbledore told him to do, but I have no idea how Severus will be able to establish contact with Harry or the Order, let alone show his face to anyone who would recognize it. Snape is almost going to have to work alone from within the inner sanctum of Voldemort’s Death Eaters to undermine the Dark Lord.

The argument between Snape and Dumbledore says Dumbledore was telling Snape he may have to kill him if it comes to it, and the pleading just before Dumbledore died also says he was telling Severus to do what they had planned they may have to do. Also, the fact that Dumbledore petrified Harry says that Dumbledore knew he was going to be killed and that he didn’t want Harry, who didn’t know any better and would have certainly tried to stop it, to try and stop it from happening.

I think R.A.B. is Regulus Black because no one else has been introduced with the first and last initials R.B. and I don’t think J.K. Rowling would pull a character out of thin air that hasn’t been previously introduced. She has littered the Harry Potter books with little bits of information and clues about future events, and I think she has done it again. Also, the locket found in Grimmauld Place and the part with Mundungus and Aberforth where Aberforth clutches his cloak tightly around his neck are a VERY convincing argument. It makes perfect sense, a seamless route from the basin where the locket was originally hidden to Dumbledore’s own brother.

This brings the question of wether or not Dumbledore knew his brother had the locket. Obviously I would say not, otherwise why take Harry to the cave to find it? But then it would make sense that Dumbledore took Harry to see firsthand the defenses Voldemort used and to MAKE Harry trust Dumbledore no matter what he told him to do.

I can see where Harry may very well die in the seventh book, sacrificing himself to save the world, and I won’t be surprised if it happens, but I still hope it doesn’t happen. I can easily see a sort of Lord of the Rings type ending where Harry is permanently scarred emotionally (yes I know he’s already permenantly scarred physically) and never fully recovers from losing his parents, then Sirius, then Dumbledore (then Ginny???).

I don’t know, honestly, and the wait is killing me, especially since I just finished book 6 not an hour ago and I had the luxury of reading all the books, one after the other straight through, up to this point where there is no seventh book to go straight into. I put off reading them by telling myself the movies were good enough, but when I saw the fourth movie I could tell even without having read the books that ALOT was missing, so I finally broke down and read them. Now I wish I had waited until all seven books had come out.

• 18 joe // Dec 19, 2005 at 2:10 am

Oh, I almost forgot. I don’t think Regulus Black is an animagus and turns out to be Crookshanks because that would be too gimmickey, what with Scabbers turning out to be Peter Pettigrew and all. If Crookshanks turns out to be Regulus Black (which may happen, I’m not saying it’s impossible) then I would almost be waiting to see who Hedwig turns out to be. It just doesn’t seem likely to me.

• 19 lupinder // Dec 19, 2005 at 4:22 pm

the final horcrux is Harry himself, he is godric griffindors heir (like voldemort is slytherins) he was born in Godrics hollow. It is already known that Voldemort intended to make a horcrux out of Harrys death into something from griffindor but it went wrong so harry is the horcrux. He will either have to die in the 7th book or will become the perfect balance of good an evil and probably reinvent himself as such. p.s snape is on dumbledors side, he had to kill him thats why dumbledor said ‘its snape i need’ when they were returning to the castle, dumbledor saw when he drunk the potion in the cave that he has had made a terrible mistake several years before (in his office when tom riddle asked for a job)and only realised it then, thats why he said he wanted to die, he realised he had to to save innocents…. i will let you work out what that mistake is

• 20 Sas1ni // Dec 27, 2005 at 9:55 am

1. i belive that the 7th horcrux is harry himself. when voldie tried to kill him he gave some of his powers to harry and what i belive to be a part of his soul (which is an unintended horcrux) and in the end harry will discover it and he’ll kill himself so voldie can become mortal and NEVILLE will finish him off cause he is the one who the prophecy MIGHT have refferd to .

2. DD is dead, if he lives it will just make the story normal , common and predictable so if he dies it will make a nice twist .

3. R.A.B as most have guessed , is none other than Regulus Alphard Black . Cause wizarding families tend to pass thier names on to their children , just like , voldie , he has his grand daddy’s name for his middle name and ginny has the same middle name as her mommy .

4. Hermoine and Won won , i just don’t see it . There is some hinting there but it won’t go any further . As for ginny and harry , they’ll both die .

5. Snape is evil . That is a clear thing . Don’t you think that voldie would have known ? the greatest legilemens and the most powerful wizard . Snape is one of voldie’s trusted few (trusted more than the rest ) surely he would know if snape was lying to him. DD is just the *i’m old guy who trusts people* we have seen alot of these mistakes just the way he thought tom riddle was trying to turn over a new leaf .

6. If you have read till this point i solute you and thank you ^^

7. Wormtail will not come to harry’s aid at anytime but his parents will!! they will become a huge part of the last book cause they just have to or it will make them as useless as flich is useful to voldie .

8. One of the weasly twins will die . This is just a prediction .

that’s about all of my theories . Cheers

• 21 Valnahanesh // Dec 28, 2005 at 7:39 pm

RAB is of course regulus black, but i am very confused about this snape thing. I want Snape to be evil. It just adds to the sex appeal but damn, the lot of you make alot of sense saying that it still might be an act. man i’m so ferclemt

• 22 Nikkie // Dec 31, 2005 at 3:57 pm

I think RAB is the lil Black. I thought frist it has to be a death eater ’cause it called Voldemort “Dark Lord”. I tired to find death eaters with R.B. for the meddle name would be hard. Also it said”I will be dead long befor you read this” so the person knew he had done somthing bad to be murdered. Though there are chances to be wroung on this & we should look for a girl this is a fun guess for what will happen in the 7th book.
    JAG

• 23 Peter // Jan 4, 2006 at 10:30 am

As much i hate it im pretty sure that snape IS on Harrys side. Voldemort is not in is full power, Dumbledore mentioned it to harry saying hes mind is toughly broken. On 5th bok snape told harry that only with hole mnd consentrating can eventually be a legilement. That point was written many times in book 6. But if it is not so, I WISH SNAPE WOULD DROP DEAD!

>Other thing is Ginny.I think there will be something about her and Harry,because that goodbye was half-way through and Ginny sayed that she wont care about danger.

>> R.A.B Is Sirius bro for sure. No arguing for that.But im sure that he is not Crookshank. Im pretty sure that hes dead. Sirius talked about burieng him in Hp and order of pheonix.

>> Me and my friend here hope that there will be something between Ron and Hermione. Wealready counted it before 6.th book

• 24 Ian // Jan 5, 2006 at 10:54 pm

I definitely think snape is on Dumbledore’s side. Dumbledore says that he knew about the unbreakable curse. If snape was against him, snape wouldn’t have told him about the curse, and it is pretty unlikely Bellatrix or Narcissa would have told him. I think DD planned the whole thing, and he left harry in the room to figure that out.

I also think he may be alive, or at least he will somehow return to life. When speaking draco he says :
    “I can help you, Draco.” “No, you can’t,” said Malfoy, his wand shaking very badly indeed. “Nobody can. He told me to do it or he’d kill me. I’ve got no choice.” “He cannot kill you if you are already dead. Come over to the right side, Draco, and we can hide you more completely than you can possibly imagine.”

I think that he is saying that he can some how make draco dead but then resurrect him, or make it seem he is dead. I have seen several sites that refer to the Draught of Living Death which is the only potion among those slughorn mentions that we don’t seem to see any use of. It definitely seems like something that fits with this scenerio.

Of course dumbledore could have just pulled an “Obi Wan Kenobi” and he might just have died to see snape fulfill his mission.

In any case, everything is speculation until the next book comes out.

• 25 Diego Giraldi // Jan 6, 2006 at 4:33 am

RAB is Regules, that is sure…

Snape kill dumbledore because dumbledore asks him, its simple.

I Thougth that the Ligthing Scar on the harry face its the last Horcrux. But Regulus said that he had de original Horcrux. So, maibe there less Horcrux, no seven…

Cya!

• 26 Tony // Jan 6, 2006 at 6:45 am

having just finished 1/2 blood I also believe that Regulus Black is the infamous R.A.B and I also think that Harry has had the real locket in his hands already, when he was at Grimmauld place helping clean out some glass fronted cabinents they came across a heavy locket which no one could open maybe Kreacher hid it with the rest of the Black family treasures he got hold of.

• 27 Becca // Jan 6, 2006 at 9:34 pm

I think RAB is Regulus Black. It has 2 b. It all fits. I think he was given the job to hide voldies horcrux. Thats how he knew how 2 find it. He probably took Kreatcher to drink the potion 4 him. Thats why hes so messed up in the head. It all fits!!

• 28 Edgurrr // Jan 9, 2006 at 3:38 pm

1.R.A.B=No doubt… no need to argue.. he is Regulus …..

2.Snape purposely killed dumbledore.. he was holding harry back somehow…. Snape was also helping harry to clear his mind.. and to learn to cast spells non-verbally… several times were there references to him….

3.Harry WILL die in book 7.. no doubt.. he MOST likely IS the 7th Horcrux…

• 29 zoe // Jan 12, 2006 at 4:14 pm

I lick your idears, but when you say crookshanks being an animagi i disagree. I read some were (i think it was the monster book of monsters) that crookshanks is part kneazle thats why he’s so smart

• 30 zoe // Jan 12, 2006 at 4:25 pm

I like your ideas, but when you say crookshanks being an animagi i disagree. I read some were (i think it was the monster book of monsters) that crookshanks is part kneazle thats why he’s so smart and could recognise sirius for who he really was. I think it said that Mrs Figg raised him, i cant remember.

• 31 Anonymous // Jan 13, 2006 at 11:26 am

No it was Google search Crookshanks then
    HPL: Crookshanks.

• 32 zoe // Jan 13, 2006 at 11:36 am

did you konw that ollivander’s could be an amergram for Ronald lives or Ronald’s evil, like tom marvolo riddle makes i am lord voldermort.

• 33 tori // Jan 14, 2006 at 10:17 pm

totaly agree wif da Regulus = RAB thing, and the locket = horcrux thing. And snape is of course not evil! he was just doing wat had to be done and its not like dumblydor is gone 4eva he can still chat to harry from his picture in da headmasters office. I also fink dat hermione is gone, dead. Possibly a twin too, hmmmmmmm let us ponder

• 34 Anonymous // Jan 17, 2006 at 12:53 pm

There has been something odd about Crookshanks from it’s first introduction. It’s shown itself to be far more intelligent than any of the other non-magical animals in the story that weren’t animagi.

The only thing that bugs me about the theory that Crookshanks is Regulus is that Sirius’ not realizing that the cat was unusually smart when they were running around together in book3. As far as Regulus not revealing himself to Sirius, he may not have realized who the dog was when they were alone together. Plus Sirius doesn’t like him and it was widely assumed that Sirius was a faithful servant of Voldemort who Regulus would be very scared of.

• 35 zoe // Jan 18, 2006 at 3:06 am

didn’t i just say crookshanks is part kneazle thats why he’s so smart!!!

• 36 zoe // Jan 21, 2006 at 5:36 pm

Ginny’s got to get dragged into this some how. Maybe as a trap. Hang on, no thats too much like “ootp”. What then?
    Ron, Ginny and Mr Weasley all o their their lives to Harry

• 37 Anonymous // Jan 24, 2006 at 11:18 pm

Dumbledors power goes to Harry?? like Obi-Wan Kenobi with luke…

Dumbledors lives in harry now… thats its why harry smile when hagrid and his bro goes to the funeral.

• 38 Winky1 // Jan 28, 2006 at 3:19 pm

I think RAB is definetly Regulus I’ve been telling people that for weeks. And I’ve read a few name origins and they all say regulus meens”heart of the lion”. Wouldnt it be like JK to do some thing like have another character fake his oun death and come back with a different name or apearence or bolth! Who knows for all we know Regulus could be Scrimgeoure the book does say Scrimgeoure looks like an old lion it would make scence he wouldn’t have even gotten Kreacher because he droped the name Black and JK obviously isn’t against irony so it wouldn’t be a complete surprise if JK did something ironic & shocking.

• 39 Winky1 // Jan 28, 2006 at 3:28 pm

And if RAB is regulus i think he only betrayed Voldemort because voldemort thought Regulus knew to much and before he was killed he got wind of the plan and stole the horecrux and faked his oun death before Voldemort found him. Maybe going to the place the death eaters where going to kill him at was the task he chickened out of doing.

• 40 D-MAC // Jan 28, 2006 at 3:59 pm

I didn’t read all the comments, somebody might have already said this but….
    In Dutch R.A.B. is R.A.Z. and Black in Dutch starts in Z
    In Norway’s edition it is R.A.S. and Black starts with S.
    There for Regulus Black is the only person it could possibly be and this mystery is solved.

• 41 twinkle // Jan 31, 2006 at 11:01 am

yeh zoe, i saw that about crookshanks being part kneazle, which would explain his smartness

• 42 zoe // Feb 8, 2006 at 11:00 am

Thank you Twinkle at least someone agrees with me.
    Anyway, ive been thinking; going back hpps, harry looks into the mirror of erised and sees him self with the stone, (if the mirror hasnt been destroyed) why doesnt harry just look in the mirror to see how to destroy voldermort or to see where the other horcruxes are.(asuming that those are the most desprate disires of his heart)

• 43 twinkle // Mar 14, 2006 at 3:09 pm

Any new harry potter news

• 44 RMJ // Mar 20, 2006 at 12:28 pm

Quick question: If Regulus was still alive, wouldn’t Kreacher have been able to disobey Sirius when he gave him orders since he (Regulus) would be the true owner of all the Black’s stuff? Plus, Dumbledore had Harry give Kreacher an order to make sure he was the rightful heir and if there was still a Black alive, then (because of the magic), Kreacher would have known that he didn’t have to do what Harry asked. Besides, the note in the locket said that by the time it was found he would be long dead.

• 45 Narcissismo // Mar 20, 2006 at 10:15 pm

Just a thought, though I’m not super in depth with the books, but why does Dumbledore trust Snape so much? Could it have been that Snape had a huge crush on Lily, and then when he caused her death by telling Voldemort the prophecy, that’s why he repented?

• 46 HarryCrux // Mar 23, 2006 at 6:14 pm

R.A.B is suspected to be Regulas Black. OK, so how do people explain it when Dumbledore says ” No one could have done it alone ” that means someone was with R.A.B, or R.A.B is another secret society who neither is on good side or evil side.
    But remember the boat. It could only take a fully grown wizard. But Harry got in because he hadnt come of age. So that means, if it was Regulas Black then he must have took children or teenagers to help, cause Dumbledore did say ” No one could have dont it alone ” the qoute is not exact, but still means the same

• 47 Horcrux // Mar 23, 2006 at 6:18 pm

I also think that Kreacher as got one of the horcruxes. As Kreacher was following Bellatrixs order about lying to Harry and making sure Sirius was upstairs.
    Rowling says that Kreacher kept hiding things in his little den, taking the prised possessions of the Blacks. The Locket which R.A.B is in there or somewhere in the house. Well thats what I think.

• 48 HarryCrux // Mar 23, 2006 at 6:19 pm

The Sorting Hat knows something. I think the Sorting hat knows that Harry had Voldemorts soul inside him. I think this because the Sorting Hat nearly placed him in Slytherin

• 49 HarryCrux // Mar 23, 2006 at 6:23 pm

Regulas Black is somehow related to Snape. I also think R.A.B was there at Godrics Hollow on the night when Voldemort tried to kill Harry.

• 50 Anonymous // Mar 23, 2006 at 6:24 pm

At first I thought Trevor was the half blood Prince as frogs are known to turn into a prince when kissed. It would have been a turn-around for Rowling to make it a toad turning into a Prince

• 51 Scruff // Apr 10, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Snape had a huge crush on Lily? Posted by: Narcissismo … read it … has JK been posting under an alias? :)

• 52 jack // Apr 26, 2006 at 6:40 pm

you never know what j.k is going to throw at us. the books give her so many chances to introduce new characters.she did the same thing with slughorn and lupin and sirius and so many more others. its just so hard to speculate and that is why i choose not to try and make predictions

• 53 Whammo // May 4, 2006 at 4:25 pm

I just finished re-reading HBP last night and read here with great interest all about R.A.B and Slytherin’s locket. No one has mentioned the Locket that made Katie Bell freak. Dumbledore confiscated the box and gave it to Snape to discover it’s properties as DADA teacher. It obviously contained a powerful hex but disappeared shortly after Katie went to St. Mungos. Could this be Slytherin’s real locket and the other (kept hidden by Dumbledor’s brother) a fake or a diversion?

I do not believe that Regulus is still alive, but if he is truly RAB, he believed he would die before all the horcruxes were found. The note sounds as though RAB is leaving clues for a successor to follow.

One more clue from the end of book 4 that no one has mentioned: Dumbledore: “Harry, you saw your parents last night.” Then he mentions a latin term I cannot remember at the moment. He is referring to Cedric, James, Lilly and others that came out of Voldie’s wand when he and Harry were dueling. These people spoke to Harry as if they were still alive and James/Lilly helped Harry escape the graveyard. I think Dumbledore has a hunch about this strange phenomenon. Could this be a clue to who is going to help Harry in book 7?

I am holding out hope that Snape is, in fact, good and that Harry will not have to die. After all, Snape did give Harry the clue near the end of the flight about closing his mind. But at the very least, Harry will have to chose between the death of Voldemort or the death of one of his closest helpers; a reformed Snape perhaps.

As with all good stories, Love will have to triumph. It’s been too much a running theme throughout all the books to not be.

• 54 HP fan // May 30, 2006 at 10:43 pm

I have a REALLY bad feeling that Harry himself is one of the horcruxes. “None can live while the other survives.” Did Voldemort somehow make Harry a horcrux when killing his parents? I know that everyone thinks Harry is going to die, but I will be MISERABLE if that happens! What are everyone’s thoughts on that?

• 55 SXCmisspotter // Jun 20, 2006 at 10:41 am

I think that Dumbledore isnt dead cause at the funeral he flew away as a phoinex!

• 56 zoe // Jun 22, 2006 at 1:14 pm

RAB??? Hurcrux’s??? Dumbledor alive or dead???
    Snape good or bad??? Now, i am a big hp fan and i have learned that we’ll just have to wait and see, when ever that may be. So for god sake give it a rest.
    Good theories by the way. : )

• 57 Bean // Aug 25, 2006 at 5:38 pm

I just wanted to add that when Malfoy’s mom and Snape were locking arms for The Unbreakable Vow, it was the first time he’d been asked to continue Draco’s mission if he were not to succeed. The book mentions him hesitating, then agreeing.

Dumbledore can communicate through his portrait at Hogwarts, but I don’t think he’ll be able to offer much there.

Snape cast the killing curse on Dumbledore with Harry’s wand; if they were to use Priori Encantantetm (sic?) with it, Dumbledore could prove Snape’s loyalty.

He was a weak old man, and he had gotten weaker from the destruction of Marvolo’s ring and the potion guarding the locket. It was best for him to die.

One thing, though: If Snape IS bad, Harry’s in a crapload of trouble. Snape was boredly, casually deflecting all of Harry’s spells at the end of the sixth book.

I really don’t want Harry and Voldemort to be Smith and Neo #2. I’ve tried to figure out the timing of how Harry could do it, if Harry has to kill him. It is said that Voldemort’s body is the last Horcrux, and that it has been killed (weakened) before. It seems to me that if any Horcrux remains unbroken, his body will only be in a weakened state, even if Harry were to kill himself after putting Voldemort in the weakened state.

Doesn’t Harry have to deal with the fact that Voldemort also consumed unicorn’s blood?

Anyway, maybe Rowling will write a light happy book that some of the others hint towards where love prevails and Voldemort discovers his need for friends and everyone is forgiven and Harry and Ginny marry blah blah blah.

• 58 Anonymous // Sep 18, 2006 at 3:03 am

Two things — First, I agree that RAB is Reg. Black and that he took Kreacher with him. RAB could NOT have done it alone because Dumbledore says to Harry that he couldn’t have done it alone. He says that the task was designed so that one could not do it alone (someone had to force the other to keep drinking) yet the boat could only hold one wizard. Harry asks how it is holding them both and D says that he is underage so his magic isn’t registering. That is why it has to be either an underage wizard with RAB or a house elf, Kreacher?

2nd — In one book, Harry is looking around Diagon Alley and sees a lone wand on a velvet cushion in the window of Olivander’s. Then, in Book 6, Olivander has disappeared, the place is wrecked and the contents of the window are gone! Could it have been Rowena Ravenclaw’s wand? It must be special as it was the only one in the window!
    Liz from Sydney, Australia

• 59 Someone else // Sep 20, 2006 at 1:41 am

I think Harry will lead Voldemort to a life with Christ.

On a serious note, Dumbledore was ANCIENT. Nicolas Flamel, age 665, had to have made the sorcerer’s stone, at the very latest, at 120. The first book says that Dumbledore was his accomplice.

He definitely needed to die.

• 60 THE CsHiRe CaT // Sep 28, 2006 at 1:00 am

ok snape was told by the forbeden forest that he had to do it and hagred comfermed it and malfoy was not gonna kill him and and for RAB the inatials are the same in the foren books as well the are matching to the changed names as for crookshanks beinng regulas i dont think so he would hit me as more of a mung and if anyone of you wants to talk potter hit me up
    (morphius2683@yahoo.com)

• 61 nloven // Oct 28, 2006 at 8:48 am

wasnt it mentioned at some point that people who die can only become ghosts if they have some sort of unfinished buisness, well maybe then dumbledore will come back as a ghost, and seeing as the other ghosts in hogwarts can talk and do everything (excepting eating etc.) he could come back as a ghost and help harry through his quest – he certainly has a lot of unfinished buisness doesnt he?

• 62 Myster // Jan 20, 2007 at 2:26 pm

the sorting hat is a horcrux !….and i think zoe’s ideas are wrong. i also think petigrew will save harry . and zoe is still wrong